The RAeS Careers Service
For more help, the Royal Aeronautical Society Careers Department is your one-stop shop for impartial advice, help and materials on careers in aerospace and aviation – including all types of career pathways civil and military, from engineering and maintenance through to airline pilots and cabin crew, to business and operations. We can also help experienced professionals seeking further career development within the aerospace industry.
Careers, Employability and Mentoring information packs
The Royal Aeronautical Society Careers & Skills Team have produced this resource pack to inform and support those with an early interest in aerospace and aviation and those who are looking for a career move into one of the most exciting and innovative sectors. As the industry looks forward into the next 50 years, revolutionary projects will unlock the air as a route to deliver a broad range of new, sustainable services. All the content can be accessed via the links in each section of the pack.
Individual Careers Guidance
- FREE 1-2-1 careers sessions on CVs, online applications, interview preparation, job-hunting techniques and more from our London office.
- The service is free and unlimited to our RAeS members. For non-members, there is a limit on the number of free appointments available.
- Online – by appointment only via virtual conference call.
- By email – it may be that your questions are best answered via email! We will let you know.
We have a series of events for all ages:
- Cool Aeronautics – for primary schools
- Project Altitude – for secondary schools
- Careers and CV workshop – for people aged 14 and up
- Careers in Aerospace & Aviation LIVE – our annual autumn recruitment and careers fair – for those seeking employment in the sector. Check our events page for the latest fair information orcontact us .
All events are free for visitors to attend.
We are also involved in many competitions and other initiatives including the UK Rocketry Challenge run by ADS Group.
On Campus & Virtual CV and Careers Workshops
For student at university or college on aerospace or aviation related courses, we will come to your university or college to deliver a FREE CV and Careers and Workshop. The workshop covers:
- Job hunting advice for aerospace and aviation
- Useful websites
- CV group exercise and tips
- Online application forms
- Employability skills
The workshops are one hour in length. We can also follow on the workshop with ‘Speedy 1-2-1’ sessions for attendees to review CVs.
Aviation Careers Map
The Career Map illustrates the huge variety of opportunities within passenger transport and travel. Select one of the industries below to highlight its career path. The ‘i’ icon against each industry will give you an overview of the career opportunities and skills required. Click here to access the map and then click on a job title node to learn more about that particular role.
Careers literature and materials
We produce a range literature and information for individuals, schools, colleges and universities. All items are available FREE of charge and include:
- Cool Aeronautics booklet for primary ages
- Career Flightpath Magazine for secondary, college, university and graduate ages
- ‘Malaga’ careers poster
For younger ages, our Amy Aviation audio and Youtube series with Fun Kids radio introduces the world of aerospace engineering, space and flight in a fun and engaging way and is available to download free of charge.
Getting in touch
If you would like more information, to request materials or book a 1-2-1 appointment or on-campus/virtual workshop, please contact the Royal Aeronautical Society Careers team.
More careers help
To start your job hunt, or for information about events, programmes and competitions which support aerospace and aviation careers, visit our Directory
More information about careers in aerospace and careers in aviation including how to be an aerospace engineer, how to become a pilot, aircraft maintenance in Roles.