The RAeS Careers Service
For more help, the Royal Aeronautical Society Careers Department is your one-stop shop for impartial advice, help and materials on careers in aerospace and aviation – including all types of career pathways civil and military, from engineering and maintenance through to airline pilots and cabin crew, to business and operations. We can also help experienced professionals seeking further career development within the aerospace industry.
Statement on COVID-19
COVID-19 has placed the aviation and aerospace industry in uncharted territories. These sectors support international trade and investment, but also connect families and loved ones across the world.
Airlines are doing their best to fulfil their services despite the unprecedented circumstances being faced. The same can be said for the Aerospace sector which will be hit with challenges on maintaining supply-chain activity and in exporting: there are also many roles that are not amenable to working from home.
For those who have who have unfortunately lost their jobs as a result of COVID-19 cut-backs, the Royal Aeronautical Society’s careers advice and guidance service can be accessed online via this website or contact email@example.com for specialist advice and 1-2-1 consultations via online conference call.
Careers, Employability and Mentoring information packs
The Royal Aeronautical Society Careers & Skills Team have produced this resource pack to inform and support those with an early interest in aerospace and aviation and those who are looking for a career move into one of the most exciting and innovative sectors. As the industry looks forward into the next 50 years, revolutionary projects will unlock the air as a route to deliver a broad range of new, sustainable services. All the content can be accessed via the links in each section of the pack.
Individual Careers Guidance
- FREE 1-2-1 careers sessions on CVs, online applications, interview preparation, job-hunting techniques and more from our London office.
- The service is free and unlimited to our RAeS members. For non-members, there is a limit on the number of free appointments available.
- Online – by appointment only via virtual conference call.
- In person – by appointment only at our beautiful London headquarters building (not available due to current Covid-19 restrictions).
- By telephone and email – if coming to see us is difficult, we can receive your CV electronically and advise you by pre-booked phone/virtual appointment.
We have a series of events for all ages:
- Cool Aeronautics – for primary schools (postponed due to current Covid-19 restrictions).
- Ballantyne – for secondary schools and youth groups – TBC at the moment
- Careers in Aerospace & Aviation LIVE – our annual recruitment and careers fair – for those seeking employment in the sector. The next event takes place on 3rd November 2021, contact us for more information.
All events are free for visitors to attend.
We are also involved in many competitions and other initiatives including the UK Rocketry Challenge run by ADS Group.
On Campus & Virtual CV and Careers Workshops
For student at university or college on aerospace or aviation related courses, we will come to your university or college to deliver a FREE CV and Careers and Workshop. The workshop covers:
- Job hunting advice for aerospace and aviation
- Useful websites
- CV group exercise and tips
- Online application forms
- Employability skills
The workshops are one hour in length. We can also follow on the workshop with ‘Speedy 1-2-1’ sessions for attendees to review CVs.
Aviation Careers Map
The Career Map illustrates the huge variety of opportunities within passenger transport and travel. Select one of the industries below to highlight its career path. The ‘i’ icon against each industry will give you an overview of the career opportunities and skills required. Click here to access the map and then click on a job title node to learn more about that particular role.
Careers literature and materials
We produce a range literature and information for individuals, schools, colleges and universities. All items are available FREE of charge and include:
- Cool Aeronautics booklet for primary ages
- Career Flightpath Magazine for secondary, college, university and graduate ages
- ‘Malaga’ careers poster
For younger ages, our Amy Aviation audio and Youtube series with Fun Kids radio introduces the world of aerospace engineering, space and flight in a fun and engaging way and is available to download free of charge.
Getting in touch
If you would like more information, to request materials or book a 1-2-1 appointment or on-campus/virtual workshop, please contact the Royal Aeronautical Society Careers team.
More careers help
To start your job hunt, or for information about events, programmes and competitions which support aerospace and aviation careers, visit our Directory
More information about careers in aerospace and careers in aviation including how to be an aerospace engineer, how to become a pilot, aircraft maintenance in Roles.
Create a winning CV with Career Flightpath, first impressions count, especially when applying for jobs. The CV360 tool scores your CV against more than 50 checks. Upload your CV now and get instant personalised feedback. Start exploring now: https://t.co/dDvtO2gwx3 #career #CV https://t.co/nwHWdAKhl1
Today Nick Davis from @RAeSCareers will be sharing highlights from our 2020 Careers Fair in the @MemberWise webcast "Designing for Change: Planning Successful Events When the Landscape is Constantly Shifting (with @RDMobile) Register here: https://t.co/kSAxjsu0TT #CIAAL21 https://t.co/VkIXwlqVDM
The @Aerosociety 2021 Amy Johnson Named Lecture 2021 is now available to view on YouTube with Air Cdre Suraya Marshall, Commandant, @RoyalAirForce College Cranwell on inclusive leadership to support and deliver a more diverse and inclusive workforce