Air Cabin Crew
Air cabin crew are responsible for the care and safety of air passengers both in normal and emergency situations. They are employed by airline operators.
Before a flight, air cabin crew are informed of any safety matters and passengers with special needs/requirements. Air cabin crew also check the emergency equipment, make sure the aircraft is clean and tidy, information in the seat pockets is up to date, and the correct amount of meals and drinks are ready.
Before take off air cabin crew welcome passengers on board, show them to their seats, ensure their luggage is stowed away safely and demonstrate emergency equipment and procedures. Some airlines show a video of emergency procedures. In the event of an emergency landing, the cabin crew ensure that passengers follow strict safety procedure/instructions, use safety equipment correctly, and supervise passengers off the aircraft safely.
During the flight air cabin crew may make anouncements on behalf of the pilot and answer passenger questions. They will also serve drinks and food to passengers and sell duty free goods and merchandise.
At the end of a flight cabin crew ensure that passengers disembark from the aircraft safely. They then complete a series of paperwork, which includes – a written flight report, which records any unusual incidents; customs and immigration documents; account of duty free sales and meal and drink orders.
Although the work of air cabin crew has many attracitons and is interesting and varied, it is nonetheless demanding and strenuous, involving rotas, shifts, confined spaces and long periods on your feet. You are also responsible for passenger safety and evacuation procedures in the event of an emergency.
- Confident and friendly
- Smart appearance
- A clear speaking voice
- Enjoy working in a team
- Like working with a wide range of people
- Ability to remain calm in an emergency
- Capable of working quickly and efficiently
- Physically fit
Each airline provides their own structured training programme. Training usually last from 4-6 weeks and covers a series of practical and written tests in the following areas:
- Customs and immigration regulations
- Safety and emergency procedures
- First aid
- Currency exchange
- Customer relations and passenger care
- Gallery management
- Food preparation and service
- Personal hygiene and grooming
Work based training courses are available in Air Cabin Crewing at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2&3.
Qualifications & Entry Requirements
- A good standard of education usually to GCSE grade or equivalent qualifications.
- Some airlines ask for 4-5 GCSEs at A-C grades, including English Language and Mathematics, or equivalent.
- Ability to converse in a modern language is desirable.
- A valid EU passport permitting unrestricted world travel.
- Minimum age of entry is between 19-21 years.
- Minimum height requirement varies between 1.58m to 1.60m.
- Some airlines set a maximum height between 1.82m to 1.87m.
- Height must be in proportion to weight.
- Normal colour vision and good eyesight.
- Good standard of health and fitness – including ability to swim approximately 25 metres.
- A driving licence is desirable.
- Previous experience in customer service, hotel and catering or nursing/caring is useful.
For more information on current employers and vacancies as well as forums:
Do you want to work as a manager in the air transport industry? Cranfield University is holding a masterclass on 19 - 20 March to explore the opportunities for a career in this sector! Find out more here: https://t.co/e5jrfE48AN https://t.co/A55kDdYSBL
Calling all #aerospace & #aviation organisations of any kind! Create your FREE profile in our Careers in Aerospace Industry Directory and showcase your organisation to over 55k visitors to the website each year! Promote your high-flying organisation here: https://t.co/f0Eh4OuKLz https://t.co/j9tLx041BD
Lots of people will offer you advice when selecting your GCSEs and their advice is important....Read More
Airbus Degree Apprenticeships Open Evening Airbus invites students currently...Read More
Join us at the Airbus site in Filton to discover more about our exciting Degree &...Read More